Monday, January 14, 2013

Gluten-Free Flatbread Pizza {Recipe}

Ahhhhh, good 'ol pizza. I'm so thankful there are gluten-free options available so folks like me can enjoy this comfort food favorite of mine! Not to mention my 4 year-old that begs me for pizza all the time and can't wait for mommy to "get better" so I can go out and eat cheese pizza with him. Poor kid doesn't quite understand that being gluten-free is a permanent lifestyle change for me! Homemade pizza is a great compromise though, and of course Buddy is happy anytime the word "pizza" is involved in any meal. 

 
I submitted this recipe as one of my Grain Mill Wagon Challenge recipes. This recipe has been adapted using Just Add Cloth's Gluten-Free Pizza Crust recipe with just a few tweaks and most all my ingredients were organic. I wanted a thicker dough so I changed up a few ingredients and also added parmesan cheese at the suggestion of the author. It definitely added some crunch and all in all the crust turned out to have more of a flatbread texture, thus the recipe name I gave it. Spread it thinner than I did and you could probably almost make a cracker or even use it as a flatbread for dipping or other recipes! Overall I'm really happy with the outcome and how easy this was to throw together. 

Ingredients


3 Eggs
1/4 Cup Grapeseed Oil
1/4 cup water

3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Almond Meal
3/4 Cup Brown Rice Flour (Freshly Ground)
1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour (Freshly Ground)

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

Pizza Toppings of choice (I did mozzarella cheese on one side, and homemade pesto/sliced grape tomatoes/mozzarella on the other)

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Using a stand mixer, mix together the eggs, oil, water and garlic. Once combined, add the almond meal, flours and cheese.
 

2) Using a spatula, spread out the dough on a greased cookie dough sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper), or a pizza stone. I spread mine about 1/4 inch thin into a rectangular shape, although I probably could have gone a little thinner with this batch for an even crispier crust.

 
3) Partially bake in the oven for about 20 minutes and remove. It should look like this above!

 
4) Add desired toppings and put back in the oven for 12-14 minutes.

5) Allow to cool briefly, slice, and enjoy!

 
 

5 comments:

Brittney Minor said...

That looks so yummy! I want to experiment with gluten free baking! Pinned!

crunchyfarmbaby said...

Oh man, that looks awesome!!!!

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

Looks so delicious. Will definitely be trying out this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole @ Some Call It Natural said...

That looks great! For some reason pizza has always been a scary one for me to try. I figure I will mess it up somehow. lol I really need to try it!

lilyk said...

This recipe looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing!