Monday, January 28, 2013

Gluten-Free Black Bean Chocolate Cake {Recipe}


Never in a million years did I think black beans would ever turn up as an ingredient in baking! I literally couldn't find one recipe online using black bean flour in a cake or brownie recipe instead of actual cooked/hydrated black beans, so I decided to create my own using fresh ground black bean flour from my WonderMill Grain Mill. This was my final recipe as part of the Grain Mill Wagon Challenge, but certainly not the end of my gluten-free baking and cooking experimentation. It's just the beginning! With access to freshly ground flours from my new WonderMill Grain Mill, my recipes are using fresher ingredients that can only enhance my recipes and encourage me to continue on my journey to healthier eating. It's been incredibly fun for me.

I rode the Grain Mill Wagon
{Check out all my Grain Mill Wagon Challenge recipes!}

This cake has an amazingly moist, normal cake texture, and almost, just almost resembles a cakey brownie. If you taste the batter, don't let the black bean flour taste fool you! Yes, it's bitter, but it won't come out in the final product's taste, I promise. This cake is perfectly chocolatey and not too sweet, so it's a middle of the road chocolate cake that anyone could enjoy. It's not a super crumbly cake like I've noticed with some gluten-free recipes, so I'm really happy this recipe worked so well. The only thing that could potentially be missing is some frosting or some oozing caramel as my sister suggested. I could have whipped something up but I thought that could be total sweetness overkill, but you definitely could add some frosting, extra chocolate or other deliciousness if you'd like. I'm even thinking a cream cheese frosting would be amazing!

Ingredients

1/2 Cup Butter, softened
3 Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1/8 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Organic Sugar
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder (up to 1 Cup if you desire!)
1/2 Cup Black Bean Flour (Freshly Ground)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
8 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a stand mixer, mix together all ingredients (wet ones first), saving the chocolate chips until the very end.

2) Line an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with two strips of parchment paper. Evenly spread the batter into the dish. 

3) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean from the middle.
 4) Allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy! (I personally really enjoy this cake warm!)

It was really yummy and you'd never even being able to guess it was made with black bean flour!! If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments!
 

2 comments:

Brittney Minor said...

Did you make the black bean flour by grinding up hard black beans? If so do you rinse them first?

Ashley R said...

Yep! Just the hard black beans. I didn't rinse them first. You probably could, but I'd make sure they are completely dry before grinding of course! :)